I apologize for not updating about last weekend until now. I have four past events and 4 future events to talk about.
Past events 1 and 2: Thursday night hockey against Ferris State. OK so Ferris State was supposedly really good. We just dropped one to Northern Michigan. This should have been a tough game. I think what I saw could best be described as handling them. Its something about how int he first half we could just take it away from them between the blue lines consistently, that was pretty awesome. Anyway, I am not going to be a sports reporter here. I just think we played well, and we were not trying to be overly fancy like we were against UOIT. As always, we played better on the PK than on the powerplay. My theory as to why a lot of teams do this is because on the powerplay a team does not have to be aggressive. Therefore, they are not. On a PK a team must be aggressive. Their aggression more than makes up for the missing man. Also, no icing is a huge advantage when you are trying to score. There were a few weird notes though. First, I was kind of late, and as I ran up to the bleachers the usher actually stopped me and made me wait until the whistle. I have never experienced that at a sporting event before. I think it is kind of classy. That means I will have to where my fedora to the future games. I said there was something about Yost that brought us back into the past. The other thing was that when Ferris State pulled their goalie, we stole the puck before he could get off the ice. He turned back to the goal but it was too late. In desperation, he threw his stick at the puck. It did not work. Even if it did work, it would have resulted in a penalty shot. Still, I woudl take a penalty shot over an open net goal any day. Besides, goalies do not have to serve their own penalties.
The next game was a much tighter, and much better played game on our part. There is not much to say except Farris state had a different man in net that game. Michigan's man in net, Shawn Hunwick, played very well, and posted a shutout. Gotta love a shutout.
Past event 3: Football vs, Purdue.
Yes we shut down Purdue except for the opening and closing drives. Yeah, we got the all important safety, my favourite kind of score. However, much like I am more pleased about the MSU game the more I think about it. The more I think about the Purdue game, the less pleased I am about it. Why did we get a penalty when we had them backed up to the one yard line? Why did we trip over ourselves on the opening drive? Why did Gardner throw it straight to a Purdue player? If we want to win the four remaining games, these things are unacceptable. I guess I cannot complain too much. A solid win is still a solid win. I don't have any good stories for this game. The girls behind us didn't know the rules. That was kind of amusing. Next up is Iowa who still control their own destiny in the Big Ten. No really, look up their schedule. I would not count out them at home. I may not watch the game.
Finally, there was field hockey. Michigan vs. Stanford, a top twenty five matchup. We outplayed them in the first half, we outplayed them hard. They got a lucky goal,and their goalie was a monster. In the second half, it is less that they outplayed us, and more that we were not the surgeons that we usually were. It was a hard way to end a season especially when the shot ratio so heavily favored us. Next up the Big Ten tournament. We already have the regular season crown. I would hardly call the season a wash.
Field hockey wrapup. I have no clue as to why I watched so many of the games. I still don't quite understand what the rules are. It was probably because our ladies were so good that they made it worth watching. While I don't really know anything about the team, I can at least say that I supported them. Maybe I will follow them a bit closer. Mgoblue has had some profiles and whatnot. Good luck ladies. You are fantastic.
On a side note, a pair of Michigan rowers were in the stands and they brought along with them the cutest little puppy. I was half tempted to go up to them and ask to pet it. Isn't that why people bring dogs to events anyway? Ah, missed opportunities.
This makes a good transition.
Tomorrow at 4 in lake Belleville there is the Belleville Classic. I don't have much to say about rowing except it is one of the classier college sports. I feel as though , I need a scarf and a pennant to properly watch the event.
What: The Belleville Classic
Who: Michigan, and someone else, I suppose. I can't find out much.
When 4PM, Friday November 4th
Where: Belleville Lake (Van Buren Park, I think)
OK, now I have a decision to make about men's swimming. If the rowing even is over by 5:30-6:00
I can catch part of the men's swimming at 6 PM. Otherwise I have to hit it up at noon on Saturday. This would interfere with watching the football game. I do have a question, why does my spellchecker not recognize "Natatorium?" Anyway, I don't know what to say about swimming at the moment. I may be board out of my mind, but I think the building will be cool.
What: Men's swimming and diving
Who: Michigan, vs Indian and Texas
Where:Canham Natatorium
When: 6 PM Friday November 4th or 12 PM Saturday November 5th
Women's swimming
About the same as the men's I guess. The event is at 9 AM on a Saturday. I'm not even out of bed by that time during the week. Ug. It's a labor of love. I am looking forward to another Stanford event. I am partial to Stanford. I may end up working there when I am done with this silly degree. However, I feel a need for some vindication after the field hockey game.
What: Women's swimming diving
Who: Michigan vs Florida and Stanford
Where: Canham Natatorium
When: 9 AM Saturday November 5th
Finally, Ice Hockey. We have a pair of games against Western Michigan. Let us se how we fair against another top ten team. Will we shut them down like the last team? It is a possibility. We are playing very well right now. The funny thing, is that every time this year I will have seen Michigan play Western Michigan it will be in three period games, unless it goes to OT. That would make up for the football game.
What: Ice Hockey
Who: Michgian vs Western Michigan
Where: Yost Ice Arena (Parking will be a pain on Friday)
When: 7:30 PM Friday November 4th and 7:30 PM Saturday November 5th.
No comments:
Post a Comment