I'm sure, if you paid any attention to college football you heard something about the Michigan and Notre Dame game. If you watched the game on TV, then I am sure you got plenty of shots of some worried looking girl with block M on her check and her hands together in front of her face. I'm not really here to describe the crazy game.
What I can say is what I felt. I went in with no real expectations. When the game got going I was kind of wishing the crowd would have quieted down so I could have calmed my nerves. Needless to say, they didn't quiet down. What I was looking for in the game was improvement. I am not sure if I saw that this game. We did make some good adjustments, but we have work. I went from hope, to watching people argue about seating, to hopelessness, to trying to find a silver lining, to disbelief. What carried me thought it all was the music. We played "Don't Stop Believing" after the first quarter, which was a bad sign as "The Mad Latvian Slammer" put it. When we broke into "The Victors," after what can best be described as "Butt Pull" plays, I remembered that I was a Wolverine. When we played, "We are the Wolverines" during downtime, we charged up tot he next level. When we chanted "Seven Nation Army" on defense we felt invincible. Feeling invincible in football is a foreign concept, especially for defense. We have been down for a while, but tonight, the energy, the noise, and the emotion were incredible. It felt like we belonged among the elite programs once again. You can say that Notre Dame and Michigan are not as good as their former glory, but for a handful of noisy, and very unlikely plays, we are back on top.
All I can say for this is that right now, we are still perfect. (The national championship hopes remain.) We may not be invincible, but we can certainly feel it tonight, especially when we are chanting, "Severn Nation Army."
The next goal is Women's field hockey. Please Join me. I have never been to a field hockey game, but having jogged by practices at other schools I really want to go. I have no clue what to expect except. Michigan is running a .500 record but it is ranked #14. I might be able to talk Anna into going with me. Apparently they play field hockey in India.
What: Field Hockey
Who: Michigan and Bucknell
Where: Phillis Ocker Field
When: 1:00 PM, September 11th 2011.
By the way, my biggest disappointment of the game was us not recovering the final kickoff in the end zone for a touchdown.
ReplyDelete